Pages

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Hiking With Demons and Dr. Suess


Silver Lake 6/24/13

"On and on you will hike
and I know you'll hike far
and face your problems
whatever they are."
-Dr. Suess







There were 4 adults varying in age and 4 dogs. It was slightly overcast, but not cold. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Hiking is a very individual activity. You can't fake your fitness level.  You must dig inside yourself and mentally prepare to concur the mountain waiting before you.  The lure of a mountain top lake with possible snow on the ground in June, drew me in.

"And when things start to happen, don't worry. Don't stew. Just go right along, you'll start happening too."  -Dr. Suess




The weather changed from pouring rain to sun and back. The dogs found snow patches and they played like puppies. 

Onward up many a frightening creek, though your arms may get sore and your sneaker may leak." -Dr. Suess


Where I am happiest is by wild water.



"You can get all hung up on a prickle-ly perch and your gang will fly on. You'll be left in a lurch."  -Dr.Suess

 
 .
 
"I'm afraid that sometimes you'll play lonely games too. Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you. "- Dr. Suess
 
I find hiking somewhat annoying. So many metaphors and cliches about 
climbing mountains versus attempts to achieve in daily life. It becomes clear that the more you over analyze and create self doubt about your capabilities, the slower you become as you proceed up a mountain. As is also the case in daily living. While on the mountain, there is a window of opportunity to acknowledge personal patterns and let go of the mind games.  I see transparent personalities with those I share this time with. There are the "go getters", the "stop and see everythingers" the "my gear is the coolest" the"OMG what was that sounders" the "This plant/mushroom is edible munchers",etc.
When starting out; I secretly dread the up hill climb as my personal battle. 
I am a "coaster." I like to roll with the flow, hang on the side lines and watch the world go by. I fly down hill, always on the flip side of life. I take my time and lean on diplomacy as my method of dealing in this world. I dislike confrontation. Fact is, you can't get through our society without a little juicy confrontations. Because if you don't engage, someone will inevitably run right over you. This is bad on self-esteem. This is not a healthy way to be and has the potential to flat line life progress. My personal demon.
Needless to say, I prefer reaching the goal of mountain top,(not so much the work it demands) the celebratory pride of getting there and the descent.
 
 
And here a dog finds her spirit. 




"So be sure when you step,
step with care and great tact and remember
that life's a great balancing act.
And will you succeed?
Yes, you will indeed.
98 and three quarter percent
guaranteed!
Kid, you'll move mountains."
-Dr. Suess
 
Sir, you remain the earliest great teacher that a child (and adult) could have.


 Thank you, from my head to my shoe...


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post! When you get a chance, can you send me a quick email? I've got a couple questions for you.

Jason said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like a fun hike for all.